Saturday, July 1, 2017

A Good Deal

We were down in St. Augustine today.

Having a little bit of time on our hands before meeting up with
some extended family for supper,
I stopped in at the only yarn shop left in the area.

I won't say it's the biggest or best stocked shop I've ever been in,
but I've never walked out empty handed
and today was no exception.

She had a very nice selection of Brittany sock needles
and I bought a set of size 1-1/2.
I do ♥ me a nice set of short sock needles.

These two fingering weight skeins also caught my attention
and managed to find their way into my stash.
The top is the colorway:  Island Time
The bottom is the colorway: Apple Orchard

I'm pretty sure they are both destined to be socks,
but you never know . . . maybe I'll get in a shawl or hat mood.

HOWEVER, that is not the BEST (or craziest) part of the story.

When I walked into the shop, the owner was speaking with a yarn rep. After asking if I was okay, she left me to shop. Some pleasantries about yarn were exchanged between the three of us, but mostly I shopped and she ordered yarn.

The rep left wishing us all a happy holiday, leaving behind three sample skeins of the Ella Rae yarn (a worsted, a DK, and a lace weight skein), all in the magenta colorway.

As I paid, the owner asked if I would like to give the lace weight a try. She told me to make anything that I liked, return it to the shop as a sample for a few months and then she would return it to me.


I explained to her that I don't get down that way often
and I had other things I wanted to finish.
I figured I wouldn't get anything finished before fall.

She was fine with that . 

She doesn't know my name.
She doesn't know where I live.
I paid for MY yarn in cash
and she is letting me walk out with a $25.00+ skein of yarn.

Her comment to me was . . . you've been in the shop before.

Well, yes that is true.

Maybe I have one of those faces you just trust.

I'm pretty sure this one WILL become a shawl
and I'm guessing it will probably be sooner rather than later.

15 comments:

  1. That's quite an adventure for a yarn store. Do you feel pressure to produce something sample-worthy? I would. I have performance anxiety!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The yarn is lovely. I remember you posted once about folks asking you to "watch" their belongings when you are at coffee shops etc. - you must have a very trustworthy face. I can't wait to see what you decide to make. Happy Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow.....gorgeous yarn. And that sample-that is going to be quite the adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great shop experience! You will have a great time with all this yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, sounds like a nice shop owner. The yarn is pretty. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend! Wishing you an early 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The magenta yarn is gorgeous, as are the two skeins you purchased. It will be fun to find a pattern for the sample yarn. Happy Knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous yarn! That magenta will make a beautiful shawl. Can't wait to see what pattern you pick.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmmm.... she is very trustworthy and I have to admit I would trust you with my yarn too! GOrgeous yarn all around.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great story! Can't wait to see what you make (with ALL the skeins). Love the Island Time colorway especially. Have fun making!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the yarn you chose, and how great that the shop owner gave you the opportunity to try something new,
    I'm sure you will make something beautiful with it, very trusting of her, but yarny / stitchy people are the most generous :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your purchases are really lovely, I love the color combos!

    Ella Rae is such nice yarn, and that is a perfect color! I can't wait to see what you decide to make with it - in my opinion, it's so pretty that the simpler the better. Isn't it nice to know that people can be trusting these days? It gives you hope (even if at the same time it makes you kinda wonder ...)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dee! What a great lace story!!! I have to say I want that Apple ORchard colorway. I would have snatched it in a heartbeat. Here's to wonderfu lYarn shops that make us want to come back.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How fun! Can't wait to see what lacy thing you come up with. Sounds like a shop we need to go to next winter!

    ReplyDelete